Have you ever purchased anything on the spur of the moment (such as a dress or a pair of shoes) and when you go home you realized you really didn’t like or need it? Or even worse, you don’t have room for it in your closet?
We are not always conscious of why we make the decisions we do. The reason, according to neuroscientists, is that only 5 percent of decisions are conscious verses 95 percent of our decisions, actions, emotions, and behavior are made unconsciously.
So how do we gain clarity around our relationship with money and the decisions we make?
The first step is to understand the money archetypes or those voices in your head that are driving your financial decisions and how they impact your money beliefs and behavior. Your money archetypes are not your personality or “who you are”, but are symbolic metaphors that help us to understand our patterns and behaviors. They show us “where we are” so that we can become aware of, and change our unconscious behaviors. Archetypes are powerful “teachers” and “allies” since they inform us of where we need to grow.
The eight money types are:
Do any of these statements sound like you?
- I put off making financial decisions because I just don’t want to deal with it. (Innocent)
- If I had a better paying job, I would be better with my finances. (Victim)
- I have put a plan in place to achieve my financial goals. (Warrior)
- I help my family members financially even though it may not have the money to spare. (Martyr)
- Let’s invest in this new company. I haven’t researched it but I have a feeling it will do well. (Fool)
- I don’t feel comfortable charging what I am worth because I may lose customers. (Creator/Artist)
- I will loan you this money but I want to proof of how you are going to use it. (Tyrant)
- I am confident that I will change my relationship with money because I am getting the support I need. (Magician)
Usually, at any one time, there are several of the money archetypes guiding your financial decisions. Some can be dominate while others are passive and they can change based on where you are in your life.
These archetypes are important because they help you determine what you need to change to create a more positive relationship with money and guide you to achieving greater financial balance.
Are you ready to better understand your money beliefs and to find out which money archetypes are driving your financial car?
If so, I invite you to take our Free Money Quiz by clicking on the image below. It is completely confidential and takes less than five minutes to complete.
Isn’t it time to find your money power?
The Eight Money Types and the Money Type Quiz are excerpted from the book Money Magic by Deborah L. Price © Copyright 2001 All rights reserved. Used with Permission.